Tuesday, July 3, 2012

"And I will show you still a more excellent way"

I'm blogging a little bit early today because I've got about a half an hour until my committee reconvenes, but I expect it's going to be a really late night.
I expected to be thinking a lot about marriage today since that is what my committee has been tasked with, but mostly we've been talking about Roberts Rules of Order and what is proper procedure.
But a couple of things have stood out to me, namely this from our Book of Order F-3.0101B, "We do not even wish to see any relgious constitution aided by the civil power, further than may be necessary for protection and security, and at the same time, be equal and common to all others."
So, I had considered that our forefathers came up with that language because they wanted to live in a land where they could be free to choose how to worship and who to worship. I love that we hold that freedom dear. But maybe it has to do with this issue of the definition of marriage.
As we are seeing some states make it legal for same gender couple to marry, then is that reason enough for the church to follow that trend? According to how we in the Reformed faith see ourselves and being informed with the words above, the answer is 'No'. It isn't enough that the states will find it legal. We as the church don't allow the state law to dictate our church law.
So, even though some would bring that forward as an argument, I don't think it applies. However, it brings up another interesting issue of ministers performing marriages as an agent of the state. We have the legal authority to sign a marriage license. But the Christian ceremony is separate than the legally binding agreement that the state recognizes. This is interesting,and really not something I've thought much about other than making sure I sign and mail in the papers to the courthouse after I performed the wedding ceremony.
So, I guess this discussion has really stretched me in some ways I hadn't thought of before-not only my authority and responsibility when I act as an agent of the state when I perform a wedding, but my identity as a wife. Marriage is a gift given to us by God to celebrate the love between a man and a woman. And I see in all of this how I have taken that for granted, how I haven't lived up to my vows to love and cherish, and specifically to live the words that are often read at the wedding ceremony-Paul's "Love Chapter" in 1 Cornithans 13.
Ironically, no. Providentially, Paul wrote those words of love to a church in deep conflict, in deep division.
Would it be that each of us as the church would read those words and be inspired by them, and most importantly, to live them out with our families-our families we are related to by blood, marriage, or faith.
My work is not done, so please keep praying for me to discern God's will. Also pray for all of the gathered assembly. Blessings, Jennifer Your commissioner and sister in Christ Jesus our Lord