Thursday, October 1, 2009

Thursday musings

I'm not quite sure how many of you will see this, as I tend to only use this blog to post pictures we didn't have room for in the newsletter, but I had something on my heart, and this seemed as good a place as any to open it up to the world - even if it is the Cyber World.

I've had a heavy heart lately knowing that life is temporary. I know that in Jesus' resurrection, we are to be people of hope, but it still hurts to know some people I love won't always be around for me on this earth to pal around with or glean wisdom from or eat peanut butter pie with.

When one of my beloved professors Shirley Guthrie was dying, different people would visit him. And I think they were hoping to get some final words of wisdom from this most humble and intelligent man of God. And, if my memory serves and the story told me correct, I think that word - or those words- were "Forgiveness. It's all about forgiveness."

There's a story told of Carl Barth who was a mentor for Dr. Guthrie and was also a well known theologian that close to his death, the wisdom he imparted to the Kingdom here on earth was, "Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tells me so."

I've read some of Barth's work, and I have to tell you I sure am glad I understand a lot more clearly the worlds he spoke near the end of his life because I sweated through some of his books something terrible.

Yesterday as I drove along Hwy 23 with a heavy heart for the unfairness of life and how most of the time it is so hard to say goodbye, I was listening to a song by Emmy Lou Harris called "Every Grain of Sand." The message touched me so that I noted the writer who is Bob Dylan. I don't know much about Bob Dylan, but if this song is example of his theology, well, maybe I'd like to have a conversation with him some time.

Every Grain of Sand
In the time of my confession, in the hour of my deepest need
when the pool of tears beneath my feet flood every newborn seed.
There's a dying voice within me reaching out somewhere
Toiling in the danger and in the morals of despair.

Don't have the inclination to look back on any mistake
Like Cain, I now behold this chain of events that I must break
in the fury of the moment I can see the Master's hand
In every leaf that trembles and in every grain of sand.

Oh, the flowers of indulgence and the weeds of yesteryear
Like criminals, they have choked the breath
Of conscience and good cheer
The sun beat down upon the steps of time to light the way
to east the pain of idleness and the memory of decay

I gaze into the doorway of temptation's angry flame
And everytime I pass that way I always hear my name
Then onward in my journey I come to understand
That every hair is numbered like every grain of sand

I have gone from rags to riches in the sorrow of the night
In the violence of a summer's dream, in the chill of a wintry night
in the bitter dance of loneliness fading into space
In the broken mirror of innocence on each forgotten face

I hear the ancient footsteps like the motion of the sea
Sometimes I turn, There's someone there, other times it's only me.
I am hanging on the balance of a perfect finished plan
Like every sparrow falling, Like every grain of sand.

Here's the Biblical reference: Matthew 10: 29-31